Saturday 21 July 2012

Low Carb Experiment

Wondering if I'll regret posting this. Probably. But here goes.

For the last 3 weeks I have been experimenting with a very low carbohydrate lifestyle.
No sugar, refined starch (bread rice potatoes). 

And I have just weighed myself.
I am 83kg.

I was 88kg three weeks ago, and have been consistently around that weight for about 20 years (with the exception of when I was training very heavily for the world masters rowing event in 2005, when I was down to 83kg.).

Conclusion - for weight loss, and for me as an individual, a low carb diet is very effective.

However, I am pleasantly surprised by some other observations.

I no longer fart. Haven't "bottom burped" in days. For anyone who knows me well enough (perhaps to have shared a long car journey with me) you will know that is quite unusual.
My Urine is almost completely clear, and totally odourless.

TMI? sorry.

(I also have less back pain, feel less tired, and have fewer hayfever symptoms, but all that could be placebo, or due to the recent holiday in Corsica)

So my conclusion is that something in my "regular" eating habits does not agree with me. Gluten perhaps?

I have now to decide what my eating habits are going to be for the rest of my life. One thing is for sure, I am going to be VERY careful in re-introducing those foodstuffs.

And that, hopefully, is good news for my passengers ;)


if you are still reading.. my inspiration to try this was the experiences of computer scientist Steve Gibson of grc.com , and the following resources.

Book. (an extreme view in my opinion)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Science-Carbohydrate-Living-ebook/dp/B005CVV2AE

Nutrition podcast. (very, very sensible tips)
http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/

1 comment:

zhangsanlisi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.